X-ray crystallography equipment
The following equipment is available for X-ray crystallography:
- Rigaku Micromax 007 HF X-ray generator
- MAR345 Imaging plate detector
- Oxford Cryosystem to allow data collection at cryogenic temperatures (100K)
- Varimax ArcSec optics
- Crystallisation room
- Incubators at 4°, 16° and 23° C for temperature-controlled crystallisations
- Linux PC workstation for data collection and assessment of the diffraction
- Linux workstations for data processing, structure determination, molecular graphics, modeling, structure validation
- Access to synchrotrons
- Cryocrystallography equipment to freeze, mount and transfer crystals to synchrotrons
The Facility has various workstations running under Linux or Windows operating systems. Programs for all the steps of a crystal structure determination (data collection, processing, phasing, refinement, molecular graphics, structure analysis and validation) as well as homology modelling are installed and run on each computer. In addition, software for protein structure prediction, protein-ligand and protein-protein docking are locally installed.
A variety of crystallisation screens and conditions are available in our Unit to facilitate the crystallisation of new proteins and their complexes. Crystallisation conditions obtained after initial screening are further refined to obtain well-diffracting crystals suitable for structural studies. Incubators at different temperatures (4o, 16o, 23o C) are available.
Crystallisation hotel and crystal imager
Automated imaging system to easily follow crystallisations through a user-defined schedule.
Because protein crystallography requires highly purified proteins, we have experience in protein purification strategies that can deliver one-band protein sample in SDS PAGE or a single peak in mass spectrometry. An Äkta Pure C4 system coupled to multi-angle light scattering detector and various chromatographic media has been installed at the Institute of Biomedicine (contact person: Arto Pulliainen). A Nanodrop 2000C spectrophotometer is used for protein concentration measurements (in cuvettes and drops).
Use of microscale thermophoresis to measure protein interactions and affinities (contact person: Ulla Pentikäinen).